Play is the way
PLAY IS THE WAY is a practical methodology for teaching social and emotional learning using guided play, key concepts (embedded through classroom activities) and an empowering language - behavior education using wisdom, not force. The language used in PLAY IS THE WAY connects with children because it's simple, to the point and helps them work through the clutter and see things clearly.
The PLAY IS THE WAY Self-Mastery Checklist is comprised of six questions that children can ask of themselves and with a little adjustment can be asked by teachers to help children reflect on their behavior. By teachers using the questions, students become familiar with and over time and with encouragement start to use the question to assist with self-mastery.
- Am I doing the right thing or the wrong thing?
- Am I making a strong decision or a weak decision?
- Are my feelings in charge of my actions or is my thinking in charge?
- Am I running away from the problem or am i dealing with it?
- Am I being my own boss or am I inviting my teacher to be my boss?
- Is my teacher trying to help me or hurt me?